The distribution of seeds in the wake of good rains in Ukambani region have been rewarded with a bumper harvest. Mwingi south MP David Musila (far fight), Kenya Red Cross Secretary-General Abbas Gullet and government officials during a tour of farms in Migwani district recently. (For photo's source, See first link in post!)I read an article in the paper the other day that raised a couple of questions I needed to have answered. Rains returned to the Mutomo District after a five year drought, providing farmers with crop yields significantly higher than they have seen in years. Unfortunately, many farmers’ grain storage facilities became dilapidated during the drought years. Now they have a bumper crop but nowhere to store their surplus grain. The government has stepped in and is allowing farmers to store their grains in government silos while they work to build community grain storage centres (or community grain banks). The selling point: “The initiative, which also involves providing free chemicals to farmers who agree to store their produce in NCPB and the community cereal banks, is intended to discourage farmers from selling their grain.” Free Chemicals?!? There was also a bit in the article about government distribution of seeds and their subsidy program for poor farmers. I needed to know: What chemicals are being distributed and where are they coming from? I also had the same questions about seeds, and I wanted to know more about the subsidy program, which is in part funded by AGRA (also IFAD and Equity Bank).
So, at 10am I got on in a Matutu (otherwise known as death cab).Went to the city center. I called Paul, the taxi man. He was busy, so he called Peter and we arranged to meet in front of the Hilton Hotel. All of this was after I called James, the primary taxi man (do you see the theme, I feel blessed). Anyway, I asked Peter to take me to the Ministry of Agriculture (MOA). I figured it’s a public office; I should be able to just walk in and ask questions. I prepared myself, thinking, “if it is anything like the traffic in Nairobi, I might have to wait 3-4 hours to get through the first door.”
It was easy. No lines. I walked right up to the visitor’s window and asked to talk to somebody about food security. The man laughed and said, “Everything we do is about food security.” Of course it is. Then I asked if I could talk with someone about seed programs, subsidies and free chemicals. He took my ID, gave me a visitor’s badge, and sent me to the third floor to see the Directorate of Extension Services. In turn, they sent me to the Secretariat of Crop Development. I knocked on the door, introduced myself, was invited to have a seat and then began to ask questions. Easy
What did I learn?
Free Chemicals: She didn’t know much. All she could say was that it was not a MOA program and that the district officer made the decision to give free chemicals to the farmers. One bit: the district officer, Romano Kiome is also on the board of directors of Kenya Seed Company, which is Kenya’s largest seed supplier…they also sell chemicals. Kenya Seed Company is a government corporation tied to the Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI). KARI does R&D of mostly hybrid and genetically engineered seeds, and also is partnered with corporations, such as Monsanto, on several of their projects.
Seed Programs: She told me a lot about one program and a little about a bunch of programs. The one she talked a lot about is the Orphan Seed Program. MOA purchases seeds from a long list of seed companies and then distributes them, for free, to small farmers in need. They are able to buy seeds, at wholesale prices, from seed companies that have surpluses and are unable to sell them. The seeds are then delivered to districts that are food insecure. The district officer, with the help of local leaders, identifies famers that are most in need and provide them with the seeds. Seeds are diverse. MOA says that they want farmers to diversify. But, their dependency on buying surplus from seed companies has meant that they mostly end up with maize and wheat. They try, when they can, to provide farmers with traditional crops such as cassava and pulse. She said, “Kenya over depends on Maize.” They are also sensitive to agroecological zones, and provide farmers with the appropriate seeds for their zones. The three factors that determine these zones are: Rainfall amount, temperature and altitude.
The kicker: all of the seed s are “improved varieties” that are dependent on chemical fertilizers for high yields. MOA provides farmers training to use the seeds and fertilizer.
She then started naming a bunch of MOA seed and irrigation programs. The only thing significant that came from it was that the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is funding many of the projects. Why is that interesting? Read about the JICA/AGRA partnership here.
Subsidy program: This program is called National Agricultural Accelerated Inputs Program. Vouchers are issued by MOA and given to “grassroots” NGOs working in food insecure districts. The only “grassroots" organization she named was the Red Cross -??? The NGOs then select the farmers that are to receive the vouchers. The farmers then take the vouchers to their local stockist and exchange them for 1 acre worth of seed and fertilizer. The farmer gets to choose which seed they want based on what the stockist supplies. Same goes for the fertilizer. The stockist then redeems the voucher at the nearest MOA station for cash.
Again this is funded by MOA, AGRA, Equity Bank, and IFAD. Interesting bit about IFAD: Their new president is the former president of Africa Harvest, whose CEO is Florence Wabugu = board of Gates Foundation. In the early ‘90s she was picked from Iowa State University by Monsanto to lead their first project in a developing country, which was to work with KARI to develop a GE sweet potato. The director of this project, funded by USAID, was Rob Horsch = senior program officer at the Gates Foundation, after 25 yrs with Monsanto. Read about the sweet potato flop here.
Organic Agriculture: Ok, after hearing all of that…improved seeds, chemicals, fertilizers…I had to ask: “Does MOA support organic farmers?” She was quick to yes, “We support all farmers. That is what leads to food security.” Me: “How does MOA support organic farmers?” Her response: “In terms of advice.” Me: “Is that they only way you support them, you give them advice?” Her: “Yes.”
I meet with the Kenya Organic Agriculture Network next week. We’ll see what they have to say.
No comments:
Post a Comment