Friday, February 5, 2010

RAIN!!!

I am happy to report that it is raining! Apparently, it had rained each day for over a month until the day I arrived. It sprinkled a bit in the afternoon yesterday, and then around 10pm the flood gates opened and it dumped for hours! It is starting again today. I have been hearing thunder every minute or so for the last hour. The wind is picking up…I think the rain will fall very soon. This is nice change from the 80+ degree, sunny days.

Yep. Just stepped outside and the first drops are falling. The thunder is now continuous, one layered on top of the next. The daily scheduled deluge brings back romantic memories of other places I have traveled and lived. Not romantic in the way we think of lovers but the way one relates with their environment. Ohio...end of July and all of August, 4:30pm, wrap around porch, couch, and a beer. I would watch the thick rain light up, the streets flood and the porch would shake. 5pm, the sun would break the clouds and the sky would clear within the hour. Santa Fe, too. Had a roof top deck on the south slope of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains...could watch the storms moving in from a hundred miles away.

I am also very happy that I did not take the matatu to town with Phoebe today. On her way home, twice the cops pulled over the matatu and emptied everyone out. Both times, she had to walk quite a distance back to the matatu stop. Yesterday, on the matatu with Phoebe, I had some issues with the same mafia guys as last week. This time they kicked the driver off and took it over. When they got to the street we live on it stopped but it was obvious they were going to go straight instead of the normal route, which is to turn on to our street. I grabbed Phoebe, jumped out and headed straight for the house. I have sworn not to take another matatu in this district.

3 more days till Heather arrives!!! We stay here the night she arrives and then take off to Karen the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment